Goan coconut cake (Batica/baath)

This Cake goes by several names possibly due to the name corruption over a period of time. Baath, Batica or Baatk all mean the same and are indicative of a succulent cake made of Coconut and Semolina (Rawa) or Rulao as its called locally.

What  you see on the below star Plater are small baath cakes (Bolinhas), were one of my favorite sweets my mom made during Christmas. I liked my mom's the most as she had perfected this cake which she baked every Christmas without fail and also some other times during the year but always a a regular for Christmas. What is Interesting about Bolinhas, is the name. In Portuguese Bolinhas means a small or little cake. Its like saying cupcakes in English. However in Goa, Bolinhas only refers to small cakes of Batica and nothing else. Although in true Portuguese bolinhas would be any small cakes, the term "Bol" meaning cakes. "Inhas refering something small or little.

Interestingly My mothers name was Terezinha meaning little Tereza or Little Sweet Tereza. In Portuguese, if you want to call someone fondly, you would add "inha" if you are girl or "inho" if you are boy. Remember Brazilian footballer Ronaldinho. 

This particular Bolinhas and Baath cake will always be dear to me as this was the last one my mom and me baked together and hence the memory will last a life time with me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment